Skip to main content
JoCoHistory
JoCoHistory

Edgerton, Kansas

Photos of Edgerton

Historic Sites near Edgerton

  • The Edgerton Grange Hall - Map
  • Lanesfield School Map
  • John McCarthy House Map

Read About Edgerton

Online Articles:

Books at the Library:

Did you know?

Edgerton was the successor to the communities of Lanesfield, Martinsburgh, McCamish, and Hibbard. Judge David Martin arrived and owned a farm in the area where Edgerton exists today. For this reason, Edgerton was originally called Martinsburg. But residents renamed it Edgerton in 1871, in honor of the railroad's chief engineer of the same name1.

Edgerton State Bank: The Edgerton State Bank was built around the turn of the century and has stood as a familiar icon for several generations of Edgerton residents. Ornate stone window frames with rounded tops highlight the elaborate brick architecture. The city purchased the building - which has been vacant and crumbling for about 10 years - in 1998 for $10,000 and have pledged to invest $200,000 in community development block grant monies and $50,000 in pledges and city funds to renovate it into a Johnson County Library branch site2.

Grange Hall: One of the more visible buildings in the downtown, the community hall, was placed on the Kansas Register of Historical places in early 1999 for its historical and architectural significance to agriculture. The two-story brick structure was built in 1904 as the Grange Hall3.

Big Bull Creek Regional Park: Named for "historical significance of the area," this park is near Edgerton in Southwest Johnson County and includes the former Mildale Farm4.


Footnotes

  1. History of Edgerton. City of Edgerton, 2006.
  2. History of Edgerton. City of Edgerton, 2006.
  3. History of Edgerton. City of Edgerton, 2006.
  4. "New Park is No Bull to Residents." Olathe Daily News, 16 September 1998, p. 1A.
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK